BEFORE YOU APPLY
- Read the BIG Program Guidelines and ensure your project meets the definition of an Extensive Rehabilitation Project. Only property owners may apply for an extensive rehabilitation grant.
- Schedule a meeting with BCIC staff to discuss your project by emailing email@example.com.
- Applicants are required to have all permit(s) required by the City of Brownsville for the entire project.
- Ensure your project is within the BIG Program Boundaries.
- If funding is awarded and the building is vacant, the applicant must have a letter of commitment from a business and said business must open within ninety (90) days of project completion. A letter of commitment for each storefront must be submitted if the building has multiple storefronts. Failure to have the building at 100% occupancy during this timeframe may result in reimbursing BCIC for any disbursed.
- This category offers up to $200,000 for facade and interior improvements with an 80% match required by the property owner and a 20% match from BCIC. Applicants must have a minimum of 50% of the total project cost available. A bank statement showing the unencumbered and unrestricted funds is required with the application.
Applications are accepted continuously, with a strict deadline of the second Friday of each month to allow for a 30-day application review. No exceptions will be granted regarding this deadline. The Board of Directors will consider submitted applications in the subsequent month.
THE PROGRAM IS NOT INTENDED TO FULLY FUND OR KICKSTART PROJECTS AND THE APPLICANT MUST DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY HAVE THE AVAILABLE CAPITAL TO COMPLETE THE ENTIRE PROJECT. IF THE APPLICATION IS DENIED BY THE BCICBOARD, THE APPLICANT IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH MEETING THE REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY.